-
Hi completely,
I live in CT, which is a chilly 26 degrees tonight. I have a Carrier heat pump which in which the outdoor fan was replaced just over 3 years past...information technology had burned come out of the closet.Ok, indeed I have the thermoregulator set on 68 and noticed the organization is just running and running and running but not getting up to the temp setting. Ventilate is blowing from the registers just fine, so I went right and checked the outdoor unit and even though the system was running, the fan wasn't turning. That didn't seem right, thus I went within and turned down the thermostat to 66, waited 5-10 proceedings then turning the thermostat back to 68. I rechecked the extramural unit and now the fan is running and the air from the registers seems warmer.
My oppugn is, shouldn't the outdoor fan Ever be track when the system is on? Could it be over heating and my shutting it off for a bit helped to cool it toss off so information technology was workings very well once more?
Thanks!
LisaP.S. I note very much of ice build up connected the bottom 1/3 of the outdoor unit's compressor (at to the lowest degree that's what I think back the part is called). Could that be an indication of a related job? Or is that formula?
-
Im not a technician but when there is meth build-up the unit will bunk a defrost cycle to melt the ice. During this defrost cycle the fan does non hightail it. Hopefully thats what it was doing.
-
Defrosting
There's no frost on the outside of the outdoor unit...the Methedrine is reinforced up only on the bottom 1/3 of what I believe is the compressor In spite of appearanc the bottom of the outside whole. Is in that respect a separate defrost wheel for this component? I've only seen IT defrosting the outside fins, myself.
Thanks,
Lisa G.
-
The defrost is for both the coils and fins. You Crataegus oxycantha not have frost on the outside, but the coils could hush live opaque a little.
-
It might have been defrosting- it does intentionally stop the outdoor fan and then (just keeps the compressor and interior fan going). The defrost bike should never last for much than about 10 minutes, though, so that fan shouldn't break off for longer than that while you'Ra calling for heat. In about brave conditions a defrost cycle will Be accompanied away a steam cloud rising from the heat pump. Unless you're near a lake or the ocean, your heat pump bequeath credibly have a de-ice cycle all 60-90 minutes of process. The defrost cycles are also noticeable by a punctuated "whoosh!" from the outdoor unit at the beginning and end of each cycle.
During the de-ice cycle, your thermostat wish probably show its "auxiliary heat" indicator. Aside from defrost activity, you shouldn't find much of that indicator unless it's below mayhap 35 outside. Suddenly seeing lots of that indicator without a proportionate unconscious snap to slide by with it would indicate that the heat pump isn't putting out As much heat as it should (thereby requiring more fire u from the auxiliary system, which is less competent/affordable to run than the rut pump is).
-
Been watching the fan today and it appears to go along only when the system starts up...it runs for a couple of minutes, then shuts off, even though aura is still running through the inside arrangement. Doesn't spirit like it's defrosting and I would think it shouldn't do information technology that often anyway. The winnow isn't spinning as fast as it used to, also.
I *am* getting whatsoever heat, but it's probably all aux heat right now...I'm supplementing with space heaters, so I'm sufficient. I've called my HVAC company to come out and mark it, but they probably can't make information technology today, only can tomorrow. My concern is, am I causation any sort of damage to the system away not turning it on as aux/emergency heat until they can come out and check information technology?
Just went outside again to check after the fan stopped up running...information technology sounds like the defroster is kicking in...it's fashioning that sound that unremarkably comes with defrosting, but there's no rime along the exterior, tranquillise alone the merchant ship of the compressor. I hope I'm not damaging anything by holding the system running "usually" vs. on aux heating system setting.
Thanks,
Lisa G.[Edited by lisag on 12-05-2006 at 01:00 PM]
-
I would definitely switch to just emergency heat until the tech comes verboten to take a attend.
-
Ok...just switched from the Hotness setting to the Supp Heat setting (little luminousnes went happening) and left field the fan setting on car. Outside system is now off, and it appears the inside air handler is cycling on and off properly. Thanks much for the advice!!!
Lisa
-
This question is indeed gentle, a cave man could response
Hell, I can answer this extraordinary -- there could be other times, but anytime the heat pump is non in the defrost cycle.
-
Well, the guys came out and determined that the lover drive was "over amping" and there was a broken mount. They're ordination the parts to replace both the motor and fan blade...the tech said the unit was shaking a trifle too much for his liking when the fan was on, indicating the blade may be damaged/bent on.
So, until they get the parts in and installed, I'm happening supplemental (emergency) heat up. This seems to be working nicely, though I know my electric bill wish be high because of this. IT's actually kind of nice that there's rather a "backup" heating organisation in a heat pump.
In any case, my follow happening questions are...
1) Can secondary/hand brake heat personify left on for an extended period with no damage/stress to the organisation? IT's been connected for 2 days forthwith and if the parts father't come in tomorrow, it will need to stick around on until Monday.2) Also, I was intended to head to my mom's over the weekend (which won't be overly passionless) and I Don River't have intercourse if I should be worried about the system of rules being on secondary/emergency heat without ME being round. Am I being silly (be nice!) or should I stay close to national while the system has to remain on this setting until the outdoor unit is fixed?
Thanks much for whatever help/advice!
Lisa G.
-
IT is okay for you to work the scheme along hand brake ignite,not a problem....that is what it is for......move on to your mom's and don't sweat information technology....you power regard dropping the stat down or s while you are gone(the system will not cycle as some = good you alittle money......delight your weekend
-
Thanks TTT! Good to know IT's not an issue. As far as having a good weekend, well, it's a 2 1/2 hour drive to arrest there and then I have to put her Christmas tree skyward and string up it with lights...ugh...I'll still taste though!
Thanks again!
Lisa G
-
When in Doubt
take the old pages right out, dont waste time, ur just negative the system, letting IT run like that,
its like running a car devising noises, etc;
hoping it volition last?
-
Lisa G...........................
-
TTT - Yep...I'm back home and everything is alright. I got mom's tree up and the lights on...fortunately it was a smaller tree than usual, so with a respectable glass of wine and Xmas music playing, the light stringing wasn't regrettable after altogether!
Lisa G.
-
good consider......"have yourself a Merry footling Christmas"....all the unsurpassed.....Terry
Should Outside Fan Run When Heat Is on
Source: https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/threads/123046-Heat-Pump-when-should-the-outside-fan-be-runnning
Post a Comment